Albion Interactive History > Buildings > Public Schools
North Ward School, 1869
The North Ward School, present site of Austin School on N. Clinton Street.
During the year 1869, the school board ordered the creation of three new primary school buildings, patterned after the Marshall primary school buildings. A blueprint used to build a Marshall school was purchased by the Albion board, and construction began. The three primary schools were practically identical in appearance.
The North Ward School was erected on the northwest corner of N. Clinton and W. Pine Streets. That school replaced the North Division School which stood adjacent to Washington Park. P10
By 1911, the old North Ward School was deemed inadequate, and the board of education decided to replace it. The school was demolished, and in its place was constructed the Charles F. Austin School, named after the late school board president. The school was constructed by local contractor Fred W. Schumacher. Classes opened at the facility in January 1912, and this enabled new assignments to be made. Elementary classes in the Central School complex on E. Michigan Avenue were transferred to Austin School. During the construction period in 1911, classes had already been reassigned. Some were held in the basement of the First Baptist Church on N. Superior Street, and some in the basement of the Salem Evangelical Church on W. Pine Street.
Superintendent Thompson poses with students at the North Ward School.
Source: Frank Passic. A History of the Albion Public Schools. Albion, Michigan: E. Weil Publishing Services. 1991.
Site Usage Policy, Copyright © 1998-2011, Isaac D. Kremer